Are you wondering if travel is safe to Mexico during hurricane season? Hurricane season in Mexico starts in June and lasts through November, with the highest number of storms forming in August, September and October. Some parts of Mexico are more likely to be at risk than others. Are you headed for a vacation in Puerto Vallarta soon? If so, you will be pleased to know that the area is generally well protected from powerful storms. The surrounding Sierra Madre Occidental mountain range and Banderas Bay offer natural protection that has kept Puerto Vallarta safe over the years. Learn more below about Mexico’s hurricane season, as well as tips for vacationers that plan to travel soon.
What Months Make Up Hurricane Season?
The months between August and October see the greatest number of storms formed, but the total hurricane season is from June to November. Hurricanes and tropical storms have an effect on weather patterns on the Caribbean coast of the Yucatan Peninsula, the Gulf Coast, and the Pacific coast. Hurricanes are slightly less common in the area where Puerto Vallarta is situated, but the weather can be unpredictable. Inland destinations are also affected by hurricane season when substantial rains cause flooding and mudslides. Flooding and mudslides have the potential to cause significant damage to structures and human life, too. In general, inland areas are less affected by storms than towns on the coast.
Advantages of Travel to Mexico
There are some advantages of travel to Mexico during hurricane season. It is true you cannot completely predict the weather or natural disasters, travel to Mexico is generally safe all year long. Advantages to vacationing in Mexico in the summer and fall include less crowds so you can see popular tourist attractions and eat at your favorite restaurants without waiting in long lines. Also, airfare and hotel rates are lower during the summer and fall months since there are less visitors coming to the area. If you research plane tickets and hotels online, you can find great deals so you vacation will be affordable, too. While the probability that you will encounter a hurricane during your vacation is quite low, here are some tips and precautions you can take.
Hurricane Season Tips:
- Purchase travel insurance in case you need to cancel your trip, or end your trip early because of storm related danger.
- Ask if the resort has a hurricane policy or guarantee. If they do, clarify what the terms are so you will understand how their policy will affect your vacation if a storm hits.
- Register your trip with your country’s embassy as they can offer assistance during a natural emergency.
- Keep track of the weather prior to your trip and check the National Hurricane Center Website for current tropical storm and hurricane conditions.
- Send friends and family a copy of your trip itinerary before you leave for your vacation to Mexico. Also, scan and email copies of important documents such as passport, drivers license, flight tickets and hotel reservations to yourself so you can easily access them if needed.
Discounted Airfare and Hotel Promotions
Many people vacation in Mexico during the summer and fall months, and love taking advantage of low season rates and less crowds. Hurricanes rarely strike by surprise thanks to technology so you have advance warning to prepare in case a storm is approaching. Remember to watch weather forecasts, and take note if there are any hurricane warnings. If a hurricane does hit while you are on vacation in Mexico, resort personnel are specially trained to keep you safe so listen to their instructions and act accordingly. Lastly, carry your personal documents in a resealable waterproof bag to keep them dry, and keep your cell phone charged and conserve power by only using it for essential calls and messages.
We hope that you have a great vacation in Mexico, and that our hurricane season tips and advice are useful.